Sunday, February 22, 2015

Forty Days to Fulfillment

Year B – First Sunday of Lent


Mark 1: 12-15

In today’s Gospel reading, we accompany Jesus into the desert, driven by the Spirit to spend forty days in temptation, among wild beasts, ministered to by angels.

In the weeks ahead, we mark forty days together as a community of faith: our own journey into the desert where we will strive to become more like Christ both individually and as a people of faith.

During this Lenten season, we remain resurrection people.  Without hope of new life, our Lent would mean nothing, of course. So today we do well to ask ourselves questions to clarify what these forty days will mean to us.

What spiritual gifts have I been given? How am I going to use these forty days to bring them to fulfillment?


What spiritual gifts does our parish community most need at this time?  How can I contribute my own spiritual gifts to build up our community through these forty days?  Who needs my gifts?  And whose gifts do I need?  How will we, as a community, humbly call forth each other’s gifts and share our own as we travel toward our Paschal celebration?

No comments:

Post a Comment